During one month, I examined the misbehaviors of an elementary school student. From my perspective, Mohamad’s behaviors were unacceptable. The most likely occurring misbehavior was being hyperactive, disobedient, and stubborn. Such misbehaviors involve rule-breaking, violating classroom norms and settings, and being disruptive and out of seat. Mohamad’s behaviors were usually intolerable and stress- provoking. Whenever Mohamad is present, I have a hard time and energy to manage the classroom. The first thing that grabbed my attention was his hyperactivity. Although Mohamad sat right on the first seat, he could never sit down. He used to stand for a long time leaning against the wall. At other times, he gets distracted with his stuff. At such times, he is off-task but not disruptive. I noticed him picking up some pencils and rulers from his blue pencil case and playing with them. However, Mohamad often becomes off-task and disruptive as he interrupts the teaching and learning process which drove me to give him continuous comments. He made paper scraps and threw them on his classmates which in turn disrupted other students from staying engaged in the activity. Also, he pierced the cap of his plastic water bottle and threw water on his friends Hasan and Karim. Hysterically, I remember the day I assigned for my students a dictation for the next week. On the assigned day, all students as well as Mohamad prepared their dictation copybooks, underlined the page, and wrote the title. Unfortunately, the moment I started reciting the dictation, disrespectfully Mohamad started imitating my words out loud. Although I gave him comments, he didn’t stop speaking and laughing which made me nervous and stressed. Moreover, Mohamad was headstrong and temperamental where for no reason sometimes he disobeyed my instructions. Sometimes he refused to copy what’s on the board on his copybook other times he even refused to open his book to a certain page. For instance, each two weeks students have a library session and the teacher used to read a story for students. However, I decided to make it more interesting for all students to be engaged in this activity. I assigned a story for students to read, and I asked them to bring stuffed toys with them. In the library session, the students and I formed a circle on the carpet to read and discuss its events. The stubborn Mohamad neither followed my instructions nor he participated in the activity. I tried my best to ask him to join us, but provocatively he refused and sat all the session behind as if we were not present. I noticed that his classmates feared him because whenever he gets teased from any kid in the class, he scowls and threatens them that he will beat him at recess. Furthermore, he often bullied Adam, a calm innocent boy, by mocking and laughing at his shallow thinking. This is a short description of Mohamad's annoying misbehavior in my class.
You have described Muhammad’s behavior accurately. It is clear that Muhammad suffers from ADHD and it is better for Muhammad to be subjected to diagnosis and evaluation by a behavioral specialist, because this disorder is caused by biological, mental and neurological factors. Please do not neglect the case.
ReplyDelete